Saturday, November 21, 2009

Mike Hecht - We're not in Indiana anymore

While traveling from Chicago to Dallas, I had an opportunity to read the Insight Guide for Chile that Jacinda acquired. It helped pass some time prior to the longer flight from Dallas to Santiago, Chile. Once we got there, after a “great” nights sleep on the plane, we had the opportunity to tour parts of the city. One site visited was the La Moneda, the presidential palace. While I was standing there looking at the impressive building that the President only works in, I remembered a picture in the book.

This picture was taken during the 1973 coup. While standing in the square in front of the impressive white palace, I realized that this occurred not long ago. This was within my life time and the country has struggled to grow out of the Pinochet dictatorship to the democracy created today. This was clearly evident due to politicians campaigning for the presidential elections scheduled soon. Change has been rapid in this fascinating country.

On the lighter side, I must admit one of my best laughs has been a trip to Cerro San Cristobal.

The statue sits on top of a hill about 1400 meters high. Jacinda, John, Jeff and I took the funicular, as it is called, to the top for a beautiful panoramic view of the city. I must admit it the view was stunning. Instead of taking the funicular back down, I was able to “persuade” the group to walk down via a trail which they reluctantly agreed to. After about 5 min. and a lot of laughs, Jeff started calling me the ninja psycho camper hiker dragging him on a switchback trail with no railings. I don’t think he stopped “freaking” out for most of the “leisure” walk. Yes, my legs did hurt the next day. At least we burned off some calories from the excellent food.

This has been a great experience, especially the time to get closer with the cohorts that I have had the honor and pleasure to sit with every Saturday. Thanks for your friendship – you to Sushil!

No comments:

Post a Comment